Control-IQ™ Technology is an advanced hybrid closed-loop technology designed to help increase time in range, as measured by CGM, helping reduce both highs and lows. Keeping your blood glucose in range can be stressful and time consuming.
What does Control-IQ Technology do?
- Automatically adjusts insulin levels based on Dexcom G6® continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) readings.
- Delivers automatic correction boluses using predicted CGM values for 30 minutes in the future and makes a maximum of one automated correction per hour to help prevent hyperglycaemia.
- Includes optional settings for Sleep and Exercise that adjust range of treatment values for more control.
- Allows the user to manually bolus for meals.
- Cannot be used with Basal-IQ® Technology. Only one algorithm can be used at any one time.
How does Control-IQ Technology work?
Control-IQ is designed to help increase time in range (3.9-10.0 mmol/L) using Dexcom G6 CGM values to predict glucose levels 30 minutes ahead and adjust insulin delivery accordingly; including delivery of automatic correction boluses (up to one per hour).
Icons display on the pump screen to visually indicate when insulin delivery is increasing, decreasing, or stopped. Please refer to the table on the left for a breakdown of status icons.
Responsible Use of Control-IQ™ Technology
Even with advanced systems such as the t:slim X2 insulin pump with Control-IQ technology, you are still responsible for actively managing your diabetes. Control-IQ technology does not prevent all high and low blood glucose events. The system is designed to help reduce glucose variability, but it requires your accurate input of information, such as meals and periods of sleep or exercise. Control-IQ technology will not function as intended unless you use all system components, including your CGM, infusion sets and pump cartridges, as instructed. Importantly, the system cannot adjust your insulin dosing if the pump is not receiving CGM readings. Since there are situations and emergencies that the system may not be capable of identifying or addressing, always pay attention to your symptoms and treat according to your healthcare provider’s recommendations.
Important Safety Information
- If your glucose alerts and CGM readings do not match your symptoms and expectations, you should perform a fingerstick to confirm your blood glucose level.
- If glucose values are predicted to be above 10.0 mmol/L, Control-IQ technology calculates a correction bolus using the Personal Profile settings and a target of 6.1 mmol/L and delivers 60% of that value. An Automatic Correction Bolus will not occur within 60 minutes of a bolus that has been delivered or cancelled.
- Software updates are only available to customers who are in warranty at the time they update their pump, and may require additional training.
- Dexcom CGM sold separately. Transmitter can only be paired with one medical device (either a Dexcom receiver or t:slim X2 insulin pump) and one consumer device (phone or tablet) at the same time.
- Control-IQ Technology is not a substitute for active self-management of your diabetes.